Tuesday, July 14, 2015

CCSD 15 Hall H Postmortem

So. I've reviewed what I could of the Hall H news and trailers that came out of Comic Con.
Star Wars wins. Hands down. The behind the scenes video was beautiful, even if it doesn't tease too much about the story (which may actually be for the best). That impromptu live concert for panel attendees also sounds (ha) incredible.
Batman V. Superman had a much stronger showing this time around. The shots of Bruce in Metropolis amidst the destruction were really compelling. Interesting to know he has at least one dead Robin under his belt. I doubt we'll see Tim or Dick due to the number of Justice Leaguers who will already be making cameos. Carrie Kelly is a possibility, just because of Snyder's hard-on for all things Frank Miller. Wonder Woman seems suitably bad-ass, and I am still very curious about those Superman soldiers. The Suicide Squad trailer had a cool aesthetic, but it came across as kind of soulless and dry. If there was ever a DC movie that needed some levity, it's this one, and they have the cast to exploit it.
The leaked Deadpool trailer on the other hand is looking pretty good. Almost a "here's how you should have done it" to Warner Bros. I think it does a good job of capturing the "I can't tell if this is just dumb, or so dumb it's smart" vibe of the comic character. Post PG-13 big brand superhero movies are also just a rich vein to tap; think Kick-Ass with a bigger following. Even if the thing is a bomb, I think Fox will be pleased with the opening weekend results. Almost guaranteed that critics won't get it, but a lack of artistic acclaim hasn't hurt Transformers or Fast and Furious. I was less wowed by their X-Men stuff, even though the last movie was arguably the best yet, and Wolverine 2 was better than Wolverine 1.
Weird that Marvel sat this one out. Despite their fairly big media push, I am not feeling the hype-train for Ant-Man like any of their recent films. A Comic Con nudge may have done it some good. Something to tease Doctor Strange and Ms. Marvel would have been nice too, but you can't always get what you want.
In terms of smaller stage stuff, ConMan is looking like a lot of fun. The Battleborn, Halo, and Assassin's Creed "play this game in real life"-style installations made me sad that I wasn't there.
That's my 2 cents, having not been there. People who attended, am I missing anything huge?

No comments: